Noises such as squeaks, squeals, rattles, and rumbles, are great indicators that there is maintenance needed. Here are some common noises.
- Squeals and clicks are sharp noises related to engine or vehicle speed. A shrill, sharp noise, usually related to engine speed.
- Screeches are high-pitched, piercing sounds of metal on metal that occur while the vehicle is in motion.
- Rumbles and heavy knocks are low-pitched rhythmic sounds.
- Pings are high-pitched metallic tapping sounds related to engine speed.
- Clunking is a random thumping sound.
When you bring your car in, the more details you provide, the easier it will be to locate the problem quickly. Let the mechanic know if you hear the noise when the engine is hot or cold, what weather conditions you hear it in and whether you hear it while driving or only when parked.